Sunday, December 16, 2012

Learning things about your rig

Hey there! I know its been a while since my last post but I wanted to show a significant amount of improvement before my next post...and I think I have...just a tiny tiny amount haha. But enough crap talk.

So this post is about...you guessed it..learning your rig. I guess I'm only calling it this because my mistake was caused probably by mere inexperience. Hurricane Sandy hit and knocked out most of my power except for downstairs. So I grabbed my computer lugged it down there, hunched over it, and began animating my new acting shot with excitement.

Man did I think I was bad ass or what, I was smashing through it and the blocking was looking great(for me, to anyone with skills it might make them throw up). But what I failed to realize was this...when I turned my character and moved him I also moved his main root controller under his feet. So when his foot got to the edge of the root circle, I would just move the root control circle forward. This screwed me over big time, because now not only did I have to track the feet but that circle as well! Now I just made my life harder...ok no biggie, but then I realized his path was off. I'm not entirely sure if its because I was too busy gloating over how great I thought this shot was going that I failed to look at the path, or because I just made my life a whole lot more complicated than it had to be. Anyways, the point of  all this is this, I learned something very valuable. On the next shot I did, instead of moving the root control under his feet, I jsut moved the feet out of the cirlcle..yeah...This was like a no brainier after I did it. I have no idea if this is correct or not, I'm just a noob animator trying to learn more everyday. So if there is actually anyone out there reading this, I encourage you to reply if anything is off! This is one reason why I am recording all my mistakes and achievements, to learn from them :).

Until next time, and as Jamaal Bradly says, Grind till the wheels fall off!

No comments:

Post a Comment